G1 TF Era

Discuss anything you like in here, as long as it doesn't belong in the other forums and is appropriate.

Moderator: Moderators

G1 TF Era

Postby [omega] » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:28 am

Just wondering if there are many of us TFNZ peeps who were around at the time when G1 first came out in NZ.
During my time I was watching Voltron and Mighty Orbots before Transformers came on the scene.
Back then there were only two or three channels to chooses from.

Channel one of course did not show cartoons at all.
You had to wait till about 3pm before the cartoons would come on.
Which usually was Scooby-Doo and the Smurfs.

Not including What Now on Saturday's
Showing my age I know.
Cartoons like the Flintstones and Road Runner are still a good watch now and then.

I still go back to the G1 Era and re-watch the series.
Can't beat the original :D
[omega]
Faction Leader

Re: G1 TF Era

Postby Good_Riddance » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:14 am

I do remember it being on, we lived out in the country though and could only get channel one because of where we were. My nana used to video it for us though, so every couple of weeks or so I’d get a couple of tapes worth of cartoony goodness to get through :D
Good_Riddance
Gestalt

Postby omegaprime » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 am

I grew up in the 90s with g1 repeats, every morning when i was 5 transformers, every afternoon it was transformers i renember watching voltron around that time not sure when it was on, i also renember watching heeman animaniacs, samuria pizza cats, captain planet, after that era ended it moved onto reboot metabots card captors, salour moon, zoids, pokemon, beast wars.

i do remember tv 1 did have a cartoon about a hot water bottle and a few other things in a bedroom i think, but this wasnt intill mid 90s.

I do miss those days where television didnt suck, thank primus we can watch what we want on the internet
omegaprime
TFNZ News Crew

Postby Zippo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:21 am

Child of the 80's here, but I can only really remember watching TV after school in the 90's which included Transformers (I remember being confused when G1 ended and G2 cartoon began). I remember TV3 was the go to channel for cartoons after school (and I believe TV3 started in 1989)
Zippo
TFNZ Administrator

Postby loismustdye » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:55 pm

Born in the 70s here, so I remember watching them after school in the 80s when they came out, but the bulk of our viewing was via video rental from the video shop.
Still remember getting OG prime for Xmas when it came out, must have been 7 or 8.
no sig as photobucket nerfed it all
# of TF's: I don't have the patience to count them all
# of GIJoe: I've lost count
loismustdye
Headmaster City

Postby [omega] » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:41 pm

Good_Riddance wrote:I do remember it being on, we lived out in the country though and could only get channel one because of where we were. My nana used to video it for us though, so every couple of weeks or so I’d get a couple of tapes worth of cartoony goodness to get through :D

Oh yeah I had something similar with video tapes.
I would record them and my Dad would always wipe them off to record his War and Cowboy movies.
It was a up and down battle I was determined to win , i didn't.
Still you had your Nana bring you the goods.
Good reminiscent brother :D
[omega]
Faction Leader

Postby [omega] » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:46 pm

omegaprime wrote:I grew up in the 90s with g1 repeats, every morning when i was 5 transformers, every afternoon it was transformers i renember watching voltron around that time not sure when it was on, i also renember watching heeman animaniacs, samuria pizza cats, captain planet, after that era ended it moved onto reboot metabots card captors, salour moon, zoids, pokemon, beast wars.

i do remember tv 1 did have a cartoon about a hot water bottle and a few other things in a bedroom i think, but this wasnt intill mid 90s.

I do miss those days where television didnt suck, thank primus we can watch what we want on the internet

I remember all these cartoons. ... those were great times .
Yes thank the maker for the Internet and dvd's :D
And websites that let us collect the things we couldn't get when we were kids.
[omega]
Faction Leader

Postby [omega] » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Zippo wrote:Child of the 80's here, but I can only really remember watching TV after school in the 90's which included Transformers (I remember being confused when G1 ended and G2 cartoon began). I remember TV3 was the go to channel for cartoons after school (and I believe TV3 started in 1989)

That's for sure after school was always a get home quick manoeuvre.
Those days were great and still remember when TV3 came out , was exciting till those stupid infomercials came along and called that 24hr TV.
G2 was the time where cartoons was taken from me and had to focus on TKD training.
Use to stand outside Farmers and watch it through the window :lol:
[omega]
Faction Leader

Postby [omega] » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:11 pm

loismustdye wrote:Born in the 70s here, so I remember watching them after school in the 80s when they came out, but the bulk of our viewing was via video rental from the video shop.
Still remember getting OG prime for Xmas when it came out, must have been 7 or 8.

Me too I'm a 70s baby :D
When videos first came out I was so scared to ask my Dad if I could get the Transformers movie cause he hated cartoons.
Surprisingly he got it for me , wasn't even my birthday :lol:
Wow you got Prime lucky you.
My friend had Prime and a few others.
I had Starscreem and a few others which i put aside from my other G1 .
I remember holding prime in my hands at the toy store in Otara , trying my best to give the sadist looks to my mum so she would buy it for me.
Nope that didn't work.
I had to wait nearly 30 years before I bought one.
[omega]
Faction Leader

Postby Thatotherguy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:15 pm

I'm a 90's kid, but have vivid memories of begging my parents to hire a Transformers vhs every single time we would visit a video store. Didn't actually watch the movie until a few years ago, so as a kid I got a bit confused jumping between s1/2 to s3 episodes. Zombie Optimus in Dark Awakening really rocked me.
Thatotherguy
Pretender

Postby [omega] » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Thatotherguy wrote:I'm a 90's kid, but have vivid memories of begging my parents to hire a Transformers vhs every single time we would visit a video store. Didn't actually watch the movie until a few years ago, so as a kid I got a bit confused jumping between s1/2 to s3 episodes. Zombie Optimus in Dark Awakening really rocked me.

Thanks for that , now I'm going to re-watch that.
[omega]
Faction Leader

Postby NKF » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:45 pm

I'm a child of the 80's and my first experience with the Transformers was on a VHS with Megatron's Master Plan with the opening of power plant being interrupted by the coneheads. Very early on I seemed to have this habit for picking up sci fi and particfularly robot related cartoons from the VHS store. Eventually I came across Transformers and was hooked on them ever since and followed them on TV whenever the aired, and got really upset every time the show was replaced with something else that was for a different age demographic.

My early years were spent in Malaysia so I also got to experience the famously dubbed Japanese G1 series when it first aired. I was really confused for a while as to why the voice actors for some of the well established characters had suddenly changed.

TF The Movie came on almost annually after it first aired, so it became a yearly ritual to watch it for a number of years. Great times.

I remember later on a G2 era repackaging of the G1 tv series with some Tales from the Cybertronian cube thingywhatsit with poor 3d animated transitions. A bit unimpressed for the most part, but it did feature a neat CG fight sequence during the end credits with Optimus Prime and either Skywarp or Thundercracker. Very early 3D animation, so it's pretty rough by todays standards.

- NKF
Crura Fish!
NKF
Decepticon Warlord

Postby IronhideTFX » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:29 pm

80s baby here, used to watch it and tape it when i could in the morning before school.
TV3 had awful reception where i was from, and i remember a kid at school telling me he saw Wheeljacks dead body in the movie. Absolutely crushed.

I still have the tapes somewhere, some of the G2 euro ads on it somewhere.
Such fond times.

Would always rent The Ultimate Doom when i got to choose a VHS, because it had Primes box art on the cover.
IronhideTFX
Gestalt

Postby Zippo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Somewhere I have two VHS tapes that have the purchase date on them - sometime in 1987
These came with a toy attached - Grapple and Hot Rod and my ultimate grail would be to find a sealed example of one of these .. expect none probably exist.
Zippo
TFNZ Administrator

Postby IronhideTFX » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Zippo wrote:Somewhere I have two VHS tapes that have the purchase date on them - sometime in 1987
These came with a toy attached - Grapple and Hot Rod and my ultimate grail would be to find a sealed example of one of these .. expect none probably exist.

YES! I had a Grapple that came with the VHS Revenge of Bruticus. I still have it somewhere.
IronhideTFX
Gestalt

Return to General Discussion