Movie Ultra Magnus **Update**

If you've got your own Transformers-related project going on, show it off here! Whether you're a wizz with Photoshop or pencil or have a fanfic you'd like to share, feel free to post it here! And if you're really excited about your latest TF purchase, let us know how awesome it is by posting a review.

Moderator: Moderators

Movie Ultra Magnus **Update**

Postby TrickyFingersNZ » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:38 pm

***UPDATE***

More hours, more paint, pretty happy now. A friend suggested Magnus ears, bigger shoulders and a big ass hammer. Will see!

***********************************************************************************************************

Well I've finally base painted Magnus, it's taken a while, between moving and many other hobbies it's been 2 months since I pulled him to bits and started prep work but have a little more free time now to get stuck into this guy. Still a long way to go, but he is starting to take form. A few touch ups of white and silver and I'll start on the detail.

Magnus, DOTM LC Ironhide with FWI set and Jetwing Prime will be the center piece of the (A) display, with Human Alliance BB, Skids, Mudflap, Jazz on the flanks and maybe Roadbuster and Leadfoot too but I'm not really a fan of those molds so may end up selling them on.

Then it's on to the (D), but that is quite possibly another year or 2 away at this rate...

Slight mods include ball jointed 2007 Premium LC Optimus head, I thought this looked too small to begin with, but has grown on me now. Main reason for the head is he will be displayed next to JW Prime and because they are basically the same mold I wanted a few points of difference. Magnus also has the hands and wheels from 2007 prime, hands have articulated fingers and wheels have rubber tires. A little oversized, but again they are growing on me :)

Base painted with Tamiya Acrylic Flat White

Hand painted in Tamiya Flat Black, then dry brushed with Flat Aluminum (still many more metallics to come)

Hand painted Citadel Caledor Sky Base over white and Tamiya Flat Red over white also, colours came out vivid, stoked!

Slapped a little gold and bronze around for effect (I get impatient to get to detail stage).

Have made reversable metal smoke stacks, will flame them when I get to weathering stage.

I will also strip a LC Jetfire down to add bulk to him, and give it the same colour scheme but with more red and blue, and hopefully if my vision is true he should look pretty damn beefy when I'm finished and shouldn't look TOO much like a Power Up prime painted white! :pray:
Attachments
Ultra Magnus Custom 001.jpg
Ultra Magnus Custom 001.jpg (56.43 KiB) Viewed 5221 times
Ultra Magnus Custom 002.jpg
Ultra Magnus Custom 002.jpg (52.08 KiB) Viewed 5221 times
Ultra Magnus Custom 003.jpg
Ultra Magnus Custom 003.jpg (52.79 KiB) Viewed 5221 times
Last edited by TrickyFingersNZ on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TrickyFingersNZ
Heroic Autobot

Re: Coming Soon... Movie Ultra Magnus

Postby Starscream NZ » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:35 am

Man that looks insane! Really awesome job you've done there.

At first I was a bit iffy on the extra colouring to Magnus' head but I like that it's not just a plain white head/blue mouthguard. Nice to see something different done.

Can't wait to see it completed! Will it still be transformable?
Starscream NZ
TFNZ Administrator

Postby buyaball » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:19 am

Every time you post something or sell it on trademe i am thinking, WOW!

keep up the good work man

don't click this link...

If you watch Titanic backwards, It is a heart warming tale of a ship which jumps out of the water & saves lots of drowning people.
buyaball
Decepticon Warlord

Postby mr_sooty » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:45 am

Holy moly, that looks insane!
mr_sooty
Autobot Commander

Postby TrickyFingersNZ » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:14 pm

Starscream NZ wrote:Man that looks insane! Really awesome job you've done there.

At first I was a bit iffy on the extra colouring to Magnus' head but I like that it's not just a plain white head/blue mouthguard. Nice to see something different done.

Can't wait to see it completed! Will it still be transformable?

Thanks man! Yea I pondered on the head coloring, leaving it white just looked too bland tho, wanted to get as much red and blue trim throughout as I could without compromising the white too much. I can't wait to see him finished either, I'm glad I'm not the only one haha thanks and yes he is still fully transformable. The head is smaller, the hands fit nicely too. The wheels are too big, rubber touches the inside guards so he won't roll, but I won't be playing with it :)

buyaball wrote:Every time you post something or sell it on trademe i am thinking, WOW!

keep up the good work man

Thanks dude, I'll try! :D

mr_sooty wrote:Holy moly, that looks insane!

Thanks Sooty!
TrickyFingersNZ
Heroic Autobot

Postby TrickyFingersNZ » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:18 pm

He's very much in the early stages so would love some creative input! I'm not a hard core TF fan as far as early stuff goes, I loved Magnus as a kid, thought he was cooler than Optimus because I only ever saw him once in the flesh. Since then I have missed pretty much everything TF in between until the recent movies so anything you guys can think of that would make him more Magnus would be awesome.

Have now done a strip down of Jetfire so I'll get them combined, put up a pic and see what you think. Motivation is good! :D
TrickyFingersNZ
Heroic Autobot

Postby TrickyFingersNZ » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:13 pm

Well I haven't touched him for a few months now so I guess he's as finished as he'll ever be. Need to get a new camera to take some decent pics but this should give you an idea on how he turned out.
Attachments
Leader Class Movie Ultra Magnus Custom 000.JPG
Leader Class Movie Ultra Magnus Custom 000.JPG (109.04 KiB) Viewed 5054 times
Leader Class Movie Ultra Magnus Custom 001.JPG
Leader Class Movie Ultra Magnus Custom 001.JPG (95.31 KiB) Viewed 5054 times
TrickyFingersNZ
Heroic Autobot

Re: Movie Ultra Magnus

Postby TrickyFingersNZ » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:24 pm

Have put a few more hours into Magnus over the last week or 2, mainly weathering and a couple small mods here and there. With an FWI-3M Power Up kit for my Jetwing Prime on the way I used the gatling guns and jetwing pack for Magnus. Pretty stoked with his presence now, and the weathering is coming along pretty good. Can't wait to paint the guns and pack. Will post up good pics when he's a bit more presentable.
Attachments
GOPR0168.JPG
GOPR0168.JPG (86.27 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
TrickyFingersNZ
Heroic Autobot

Re: Movie Ultra Magnus

Postby Stik » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:55 pm

Oh that is a sweet repaint!
Is the cat in the hat, or is the hat simply on the cat?
Stik
Faction Leader

Re: Movie Ultra Magnus **Update**

Postby TrickyFingersNZ » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:33 pm

Update! :)
TrickyFingersNZ
Heroic Autobot

Postby skydemolisher » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:53 pm

Looks amazing :twisted:
(D) For the Glory of the Decepticon Empire!!!!!!! (D)
skydemolisher
Child of Primus

Postby Nero » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:38 pm

Wow, that is utterly amazing. If they add magnus in movie and took inspiration from this I would definitely watch it at least 5 times more than usual
Soundwave superior. Autobots inferior
Nero
Heroic Autobot

Postby Devcon » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm

Loving your work Trickyfingers!!
Just wondering with your figures are they still able to transform into alt mode by any chance?
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few" - Suzuki
Devcon
Pretender

Postby TrickyFingersNZ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah most are transformable, depends on the mods, but I hate chipping paint off so the more I do it the more marks appear which doesn't affect them hugely as they are all pretty weathered by the time I finish but I don't ever display them in alt modes anyway. I was actually thinking last night about putting him in alt mode to do more pinstriping but this mold is hard enough to transform as it is let alone having layers of paint to grind together and stiffen everything up. Will put pics up if I do though :)
TrickyFingersNZ
Heroic Autobot

Return to Kitbash, Artwork, Fanfic and Reviews Forum