Doom and gloom

Discuss anything you like in here, as long as it doesn't belong in the other forums and is appropriate.

Moderator: Moderators

TFNZ News Crew

Doom and gloom

Postby omegaprime » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:23 am

So recently ive been feeling that things are abit doom and gloom for collecting, between long waits for some things and them being short packed on our shelves, to over stocking of some of the stuff that is just going to sit around forever, e.g cybervurse i did say that was going to be just our luck lol.

but its more then just short packing its missing whole characters and unfinished teams, beyond that it seems that anything good studio series or power of the primes is here one moment and just gone besides the over stocking of studio series wave 1, but none of this is new to us, we have been doing this for a while and we see the same paterns over and over, but this year it felt like it was much worse because there was only 4 waves effectively for hasbro to release of power of the primes and they couldn't even do that without skipping hungurr elita-one and optimusprimal which was the fan vote.

Now we have the upcoming seige line and by all looks we will have to wait a while for that, we do have a habbit of having march releases for things though something to look forward to, but whos going to be skipped from that most likely a voyager again from wave 2 so starscream and soundwave or the rumored springer, all 3 of these would suck to be skipped, we only have 3 leaders this time around and the biggest of them is the same size as Fall of cybertron soundwave.

Mps im just not going to go there because its really not a new zealand retail thing at all lol.

Besides the normal that we go though, there hasnt been a video game in ages, the one thing i really liked about the movies is they normally brought a game to the table.

Maybe im a little burnt out, or maybe it really is this bad, but as the title says doom and gloom.

on a positive note the card game is coming out and ive always liked cards.

Pretender

Re: Doom and gloom

Postby Thatotherguy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:41 am

We did get Studio Series Leaders and deluxe Terrorcons before anyone else, so that was a brief highlight.

Local retail does have a horrible habit of getting a tonne wave 1 of a line and struggling to move past that. Really sucks because I’m pumped for some of the Siege and Studio stuff, but know I’ll have to pay extra to import just to guarantee I get what I want.

TFNZ Moderator

Postby Muleac » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:55 am

I've totally moved on from the retail stuff and I am mostly third party now. I dislike the lazy approach that hasbro have developed in regard to their tfs such as gaping holes in their molds an example of this is the constructicons who were up scaled legend class figures.
I do feel for those of you who are affected by these issues though. If only the toy buyers for stores would realise to spread their buying over all the waves instead of just wave 1.

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Muleac wrote:I've totally moved on from the retail stuff and I am mostly third party now. I dislike the lazy approach that hasbro have developed in regard to their tfs such as gaping holes in their molds an example of this is the constructicons who were up scaled legend class figures.
I do feel for those of you who are affected by these issues though. If only the toy buyers for stores would realise to spread their buying over all the waves instead of just wave 1.

see maketoys pandus could cover scorp nicely but it looks like mohock is out of them so pandis going to be a real challange.
trottlebots colour schemes have been used widely so its easy to plop those toys in there spots, wideload being the only one not having a wide selection of fill ins but beast hunters huffer does a great job.

that just leaves me with pointblank crosshairs and sureshot, but with all the target master toys and all that it would be a real kick in the gut if they didnt get toys in the next few years, or maybe i should just get the g1 versons.

Headmaster City

Postby loismustdye » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:46 pm

I’ve moved to mostly legends scale third party now so local retail is no biggie for me.
The scale works great with the city bots and third party omegas etc and there is so many of them now coming out it’s not funny. I’m still getting roughly one a week arriving so my craving is satiated and there is still more to get, or an alternative version of the character to get.
I feel things would do better with a decent media tie in, like a good easily accessible to kids cartoon (ie not online or subscription service based). My kids like transformers (both 6 yo) but with nothing to “keep them interested” in the line they move on quickly to other things.
no sig as photobucket nerfed it all
# of TF's: I don't have the patience to count them all
# of GIJoe: I've lost count

Gestalt

Postby Good_Riddance » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:45 pm

I'm basically g1 and mp/3p these days too so I don't buy much at local retail these days either. Unless somehow predating gets a local release here... I'd look at that. Shipping on the big guys can be killer. For me though also its my perception of quality over quantity, I don't have the room to go big on retail purchases like I used to. During the likes of combiner wars/titans return it was quite nice to wander round the stores to see if anything new was about but like others have said, there was always so much emphasis on getting a shit ton of the wave one stuff out and it got worse from there. By the sounds though PoTP distribution was a bit hit and miss worldwide, not just here. Seems like hasbro lost interest mid line and just wanted to get onto siege stuff...

Faction Leader

Postby [omega] » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:54 pm

I too focus on G1 and 3rd party.
Mps I'm not too fussed about because their increased in price has put me off.
To way things up I look at a cost of a figure and decide is what I really want or do I hold out for something better.
Titans return was probably the most fun I had in tf hunting :D .
The rest is off shore then your always watching out for that $400 mark so annoying.
Doom and Gloom I probably won't be getting MP megs or mp dinobot for a while, I'm just not concerned.
I've given up hope on ever seeing in NZ retail a 3rd party on our shelves let a lone an official Takara Hasbro MP.
Last edited by [omega] on Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Micromaster

Postby LinkNZ » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:07 am

Doom and gloom is a good summation of my feelings too.

Rant warning:

I only just started collecting TF again at the start of this year with Titans Returns and Power of the Primes stuff, all excited going into stores and seeing things on shelves. Excitedly checking ToyCo and TFNZ etc every day to see what new stuff was here!!

And then by like, barely mid year they had already ruined all that excitement for me. The reality of the market in our country, the shitty distribution, the no showing of ones like Hun-Gurrr, retailers stocking a million of the crap toys and if we're lucky one of the ones that would actually sell out (PotP deluxes for example). It all made no sense.

Along comes Cyberverse junk filling up the shelves, oh now its more meh movie stuff.... plainly obvious we weren't gonna get any more PotP. Why would they? Its all the same to a kid. Meanwhile I'd just sigh.

So I just start importing everything and I was happy for awhile!! Problem then is though, I tend to overspend when importing and feel bad afterwards. Then it just stops being fun. :(

So nice work Hasbro, barely made it a year before I was worn down. :roll:

Oh well. Siege doesn't interested me much as I hate the battle damage look, will be getting all the TargetMasters (and Cog!) at least though some way or the other as I really like those.

Heroic Autobot

Postby megatronacepticon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:11 pm

The main thing I want from Seige is Reflector, but I need three of him and he's in Wave 2, a wave that we'll be lucky to get in numbers big enough to source three of them, if at all. Online retailers are likely to sell out 5 minutes after he comes in because of all the other people ordering 3 of him. If he was in Wave 1 it wouldn't be a problem because there would be a billion of him everywhere for like 6 months, but because he's Wave 2 he will appear in small numbers for a week or two and be gone forever. Fortunately most of the other stuff I want from Seige is in Wave 1 already.

What really worries me is Studio Series Devastator, who is coming out across multiple different waves and you need 8 of them, not to mention that it will be extremely hard to import them next year when Labour bring in their, "let's tax this!" rubbish on online ordering and 95% of retailers start refusing to sell to New Zealand.

Faction Leader

Postby Damolisher » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:57 pm

Hasbro NZ's "marketing" of the PotP line has been an absolute fucking abortion. How dense are they that they essentially killed the line less than half a year after it began being sold over here? I have very little faith in our local distribution anymore, especially after the stunt they pulled with Combiner Wars where we lost out on the entire second wave.

I am stoked I imported Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus on the bright side. Such a cool figure!
"I'm crazy, you're crazy, the whole world's crazy. It's just to which degree you're crazy."- Terry Funk

Return to General Discussion