Your Opinion: state of collecting in NZ

Discuss anything you like in here, as long as it doesn't belong in the other forums and is appropriate.

Moderator: Moderators

Your Opinion: state of collecting in NZ

Postby jiptravolta » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Hey everyone, I've been in contact with a Hasbro distribution rep who was at Comic-Con, and he's keen to know how the collection scene is down under. I thought I'd open up the conversation with everyone, and see if we can fix the assortment issues we have been suffering over the years. Feel free to speak up!
jiptravolta
TFNZ Administrator

Re: Your Opinion: state of collecting in NZ

Postby Damolisher » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Personally, I still love being a collector, but I'm so sick of missing out on figures I want because of the crappy distribution around these parts. When the only wave of Siege we seem to be getting over here is Wave 2 and I have to go online to do my shopping... yeah. Distribution over here is pathetic and I don't think the people *over here* at least in charge care enough to sort out the problem. Online shopping is great, but I'm one of those weird people who loves to walk down to their local store, buy a new toy and bring it home.
"I'm crazy, you're crazy, the whole world's crazy. It's just to which degree you're crazy."- Terry Funk
Damolisher
Faction Leader

Postby IronhideTFX » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:27 pm

Damolisher wrote:Personally, I still love being a collector, but I'm so sick of missing out on figures I want because of the crappy distribution around these parts. When the only wave of Siege we seem to be getting over here is Wave 2 and I have to go online to do my shopping... yeah. Distribution over here is pathetic and I don't think the people *over here* at least in charge care enough to sort out the problem. Online shopping is great, but I'm one of those weird people who loves to walk down to their local store, buy a new toy and bring it home.

Absolutely this.

We have no idea what's coming out or when.

I will impulse buy if i see something i like, but the shelves are never stocked. I will be ordering Jetfire and Omega Supreme online, simply because we also never getting anything bigger than Voyager class if we are lucky to get stock at all.

I love collecting, i love giving them my money, but the service locally is slow, frustrating, and you can normally get a better deal online anyway.

I would also like to add that Hasbro NZ should do some sort of social media presence. There is definitely enough of a community for it. Advise of deals ,etc, and any creative types can tag Hasbro related images (Like on Instagram)

My two cents.
IronhideTFX
Gestalt

Postby megatronacepticon » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Damolisher wrote:Personally, I still love being a collector, but I'm so sick of missing out on figures I want because of the crappy distribution around these parts. When the only wave of Siege we seem to be getting over here is Wave 2 and I have to go online to do my shopping... yeah. Distribution over here is pathetic and I don't think the people *over here* at least in charge care enough to sort out the problem. Online shopping is great, but I'm one of those weird people who loves to walk down to their local store, buy a new toy and bring it home.

The issue at the moment seems to be that the Cyberverse and Bumblebee Movie kiddy lines both flopped hard and now stores don't want to order any new Transformers until that old stock sells, which it pretty clearly isn't at the present, with most Warehouse Transformers sections being peg after peg of Cyberverse and Bumblebee, with at most one case of Wave 2 Siege toys that take upwards of a month or more to restock when they move, which is also slowing down now everyone has already bought them.
megatronacepticon
Heroic Autobot

Postby skydemolisher » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:11 pm

I haven't really been collecting the newest figures because I've gone on to collect other things, the few Transformers I would like are either not available locally, not available nationally and/or too expensive to warrant buying for me so it kinda just forced me out of it. The idea of having to go offshore to Amazon again to finish off a combiner also kinda pushed me away. Plus one of the frustrating things has been seeing figures release in the North Island that never show here in the South, or if they do, they've shown up in weird places.

Watching videos on Youtube of collectors visiting their local Target, for example, its almost a full shelf of Star Wars and Transformers things I have never seen here, let alone knew existed that I would love to have had the chance, if not to buy, at least have seen up close but seeing them up close can be the things that sells them to me. I didn't even realise some of the siege figures were able to be combined with Trypticon and Fortress Maximus and could help enhance the larger figures like some of the 3rd party kits do but now I don't even knew if they are available to buy for adding on locally. (Too sick to leqave home for 6 weeks).
(D) For the Glory of the Decepticon Empire!!!!!!! (D)
skydemolisher
Supreme Commander

Postby omegaprime » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:40 pm

i can only echo whats been said above.

I dont even wait for toys to get to new zealand, i just import them and because of cost im very selective about what i buy, i have never paid so much for just one toy in my life for the size they are.

I think things went down hill when the Chaos on volocatron set came out, thats when i noticed things just got out of hand, toys got harder to get, decent toys became more expensive.

I cracked a year and abit ago when the cybervurse stuff was shown off and i predicted this stuff would shelf warm hard along with bumblebee stuff, now look where we are, we cant get anything thats worth getting my son who is the age group that hasbro targets with those toys says they are horrid and he wants the siege toys, now one could put this down to a collectors child, but parents are saying this in toy isle when i ask them why they wont buy them for the children
omegaprime
TFNZ News Crew

Postby LinkNZ » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:02 pm

As soon as Cyberverse hit it was like oh yay more crap that's just gonna fill the shelves and never sell and look at that, exactly what happened.

Why is there so much of it (kids aren't that interested in it by the looks of it!) but then shops barely seem to get a single box of Siege stuff, and when they do it's just endless restocks of the same exact wave over and over (and not even all varieties of that wave!)

Beyond frustraiting never knowing what will actually be released in NZ, at this point it is easier to just assume whatever figure you want isn't coming out here and just get it from overseas from the get-go. And that is a really depressing reality.

Collecting here isn't fun, walking into a store to see what new stuff they have should be fun, should be an exciting part of the hobby but months upon months of "Surprise, it's nothing!" just sour the whole thing.
LinkNZ
Micromaster

Postby loismustdye » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:19 pm

Short answer: awful.
I don’t do the mainline stuff (stil pick a few things here and there that take my fancy) but when I take the kids for a look in town there’s nothing on the shelves, and if there is it’s the god awful cyberverse garbage or leftover scraps from the bumblebee movie, neither of which hold any interest whatsoever for my kids.
If I was a hasbro collector and I couldn’t import I would have given up years ago, it’s pretty sad when compared to the years past when you could have various classics, cybertron and alternators on the shelves. Whoever’s sorts the selections here in NZ and decides what gets sent to stores needs to be made redundant, they’ve nerfed the brand here.

I should add that the few items I wanted from hasbro over the last few years I have imported, it costs more but at least I know I will be able to get it.
And mightyape deserves a mention, some of the stuff they get in like some MPs deserves a thumbs up, although that’s likely them sorting a different supplier and not going through the hasbro channels.
no sig as photobucket nerfed it all
# of TF's: I don't have the patience to count them all
# of GIJoe: I've lost count
loismustdye
Headmaster City

Postby Damolisher » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 am

I have to say on a personal note as well: None of the "main line" stuff interests me at all anymore, and it's not because I'm "getting old" or losing interest in the brand. It's simply because the main line stuff is a bunch of horse crap, in my not so humble opinion. The quality stuff IS the Neo-G1 stuff like Prime Wars and Siege. The engineering in these lines is fucking incredible. Then I look at the Cyberverse stuff and I'm like "This is arse."
"I'm crazy, you're crazy, the whole world's crazy. It's just to which degree you're crazy."- Terry Funk
Damolisher
Faction Leader

Postby LinkNZ » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 am

Forgot to mention, stuff like Botbots, even the 'kiddie crap' that I do actually get some of can't even be an enjoyable experience here in NZ lol. Other places are off collecting wave 3 already and we never even got 2! Just endless endless stock of wave 1. I should have known better, I shouldn't have even bothered, what makes it worse is it's impossible to buy them retail from overseas unless you like getting sent random ones you maybe already have! (no thank you).

Again, collecting TF stuff here just isn't fun. :(
LinkNZ
Micromaster

Postby omegaprime » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:43 am

LinkNZ wrote:Forgot to mention, stuff like Botbots, even the 'kiddie crap' that I do actually get some of can't even be an enjoyable experience here in NZ lol. Other places are off collecting wave 3 already and we never even got 2! Just endless endless stock of wave 1. I should have known better, I shouldn't have even bothered, what makes it worse is it's impossible to buy them retail from overseas unless you like getting sent random ones you maybe already have! (no thank you).

Again, collecting TF stuff here just isn't fun. :(

theres normally 2 sets of botbots a box, if you want to import in a whole one im more than happy to pick up the other set for my son or i can import them and make sure you get the complete set as its my son he doesnt need em all
omegaprime
TFNZ News Crew

Postby Zippo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:53 pm

I just don't head to the stores anymore.

I'll either purchase from Toyco (they seem to be independant and stock stuff well before others), check Mighty Ape and then head to Amazon USA..

Not knowing what is coming into the stores - and also the difference between stores in various parts of the country (Siege was stocked by the Warehouse in the North Island for a full month before it got to the South; what a Christchurch Farmers store gets in does not reflect at all what Dunedin' single store will get in).

And .. I don't think there is a fix for it
Zippo
TFNZ Administrator

Postby jiptravolta » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Thanks for everyones views - I'll give him the bad news :lol:
jiptravolta
TFNZ Administrator

Postby LinkNZ » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:28 am

omegaprime wrote:theres normally 2 sets of botbots a box, if you want to import in a whole one im more than happy to pick up the other set for my son or i can import them and make sure you get the complete set as its my son he doesnt need em all

Thanks, but I guess I've just soured on them in general once it became evident I wasn't gonna be able to collect more of them locally the way I did with wave 1. :(

If you ever get any of the Christmas ones from wave 3 spare let me know though! My wife was actually excited for those ones! I said maybe they'll come out here later in the year (towards the festive time) but yea, who knows? :roll:

jiptravolta wrote:Thanks for everyones views - I'll give him the bad news :lol:

I lol'ed. :lol:
LinkNZ
Micromaster

Return to General Discussion