Cool Stuff Discussion 02: What got me back into the fandom

General talk about Transformers figures from any era.

Moderator: Moderators

Micromaster

Cool Stuff Discussion 02: What got me back into the fandom

Postby Fan-of-Cool-Stuff-27 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Hey guys, it's me again with another discussion as the last one seemed to work out pretty well.

Anyways today's story is about how I got back into Transformers.

Now as I may have mentioned last week, Robots in Disguise 2001 was the first show I ever watched (I was about 2 years old) but being so young at that time I don't remember much. Armada was the first show I watched that I still remember the most of. It aired about 2 times that I can remember so that is probably why I remember so much of it. Unfortunately I only ever got Cyclonus and one of the Mini-Con Team's as a kid.

After Armada I never watched any of the other shows because for whatever reason they didn't appeal to me at the time (Energon and Cybertron). Of course the hype for Transformers toys was still there and I tended to waste my pocket money on cheap knock-offs from two dollar shops and The Warehouse.

2007 is when the first live-action film came out and Transformers Animated. Now I absolutely loved Animated (I still do), but it was the movie toys that I constantly saw in shops. I can still remember walking into The Warehouse at The Base and seeing a huge cardboard arch over the top of the aisle with the movie stuff printed all over it. I remember seeing pretty much the whole aisle full of just Transformers movie figures. It was amazing just walking down those aisles and seeing all the really cool packaging for the figures everywhere. Just the presentation in the shops was enough to make me want to buy them all. I still remember seeing all the really cool figures at Farmers in Chartwell too, I just wish I could go back in time just to see it all again.

Now aside from the presentation, I also really liked the figures as well. They were very new and different for the time they came out, of course the RoTF figures were even better in terms of complication, but I still love the nostalgia of the 2007 figures with the automorph gimmicks and the Allspark Power repaints etc. Unfortunately I never got any of the onscreen characters, just some of the others released in the line.

Did any of you have a down moment where some toylines just weren't for you? Or do you still have those memories of walking down a Transformers aisle and being amazed? Feel free to share!

Thanks for reading :D
On the hunt for on-screen Movieverse TF figures, Unicron Trilogy figures and RiD 2001 figures.

If you are willing to sell any of these to me or want to know what I'm specifically after just message me and let me know it would be much appreciated.

Instagram: fanofcoolstuff27_nz

F-O-C-S-27

TFNZ News Crew

Re: Cool Stuff Discussion 02: What got me back into the fand

Postby omegaprime » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:21 pm

when i was about 11 beast wars came out and i loved that, for a long time it seemed the only way i could find transformers was from school fairs, i do miss going though piles of toys to find the odd gems, well i gatherd beast wars toys for a while, then i moved onto card collecting intill amarda came out then i brought some left over RID stock and some armada toys i was very happy with them, life went on and i stoped then classics came out, i was walking though toyworld and i seen classics rodimusprime,starscream,bumbleebee,astrotrain and i brought all 4 of them, 30 minutes later i checked Kmart and there was Megatron Optimusprime and Jetfire, i had to have them i brought them all up, and ever sense then ive been collecting, i went into full blowen buying mode as soon as i found primus though.

Ive collected a few things pokemon toys cards, dragon ball z cards, transformers by far has lasted the longest and has been the most fun, but i myself and nearing the end of collecting usa g1 classics is nearly complete and once thats done im pretty much going to be mp only, though if all the toys out today was the same quality as the ones from rotf i dont think i would stop lol

Faction Leader

Re: Cool Stuff Discussion 02: What got me back into the fand

Postby Monkey222 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Transformers Energon got me first buying, but I was still in that "I'm an adult and shouldn't be buying toys" phase, so about 18 years old.

Then after watching the 07 movie, and picking up a few figures, I went nuts and bought heaps.
WANTED: ROTF Lockdown, Classics Grimlock Missile, ROTF Stratosphere.

View my Trade Me listings: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=2437745

Collection count is in! The grand total is 466 transformers!-20/06/2014

Return to General TF Toy Discussion