Cool Stuff Discussion 01: My first Transformers figures

General talk about Transformers figures from any era.

Moderator: Moderators

Cool Stuff Discussion 01: My first Transformers figures

Postby Fan-of-Cool-Stuff-27 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:04 am

Hey guys, I'm new here.
Just thought it'd be cool if I could start up a discussion maybe every week about different figures from my childhood and hear other peoples stories, if anyone was interested in that sort of thing, plus there aren't many people I can share these stories with so I thought I might share them here instead.

I grew up around the times of RiD 2001 (started watching when I was 2) and the Unicron Trilogy. My very first TF figures were a part of the Spychanger twin pack of W.A.R.S. and Crosswise.

A few years later I got another W.A.R.S. figure in a tiny tin which I traded with a friend for the Deluxe Classic Camaro Bumblebee at school in 2007 (unfair trade but we were only 8 years old). I also got the Prowl 2 tiny tin as well but I never really liked it as much as the show characters.

I still own the W.A.R.S. and Crosswise figures but they are a little loose and some of the paint has worn off, but I won't ever get rid of these as they were the figures that started in all for me.

Now at the age of 18 I am looking for the full set of those onscreen Spychangers in the tiny tins and most of the other RiD 2001 figures, but they are just so hard to find on Trade Me complete or in one piece. I would love to get a full collection of those onscreen 2001 figures, maybe not Car Robots Brave Maximus due to expenses, rarity and the size of that figure, but pretty much all the rest from the American line.

At the moment it seems like Trade Me runs in cycles. RoTF, Energon and quite a few G1 figures seem to be the big thing recently out of the older figures, where as a couple of years ago it was Armada and 2007 Movie figures and I just seem to have money for the things I want at the wrong time. I really wish those 2001 figures or even Beast Wars or Beast Machines figures weren't so rare to come by at reasonable prices now days.

I joined this website as I thought it would help me talk to other people around NZ who knew what I was actually talking about as no one my age seems interested in these things anymore. I also joined to help find other collectors that would be willing to sell me those "rare" figures I am looking for to build my collection before bills and other things of adult life start to fill my time and wallet.

Anyways this pretty much concludes my story and rant.
Again if anyone can help me with building my TF collection it would be much appreciated.
And if anyone else wants to share their first TF figure stories or any issues they are having with hunting down those older figures they want feel free to say anything. It's good to talk to people going through similar experiences and who know what I am actually taking about. :D
On the hunt for on-screen Movieverse TF figures, Unicron Trilogy figures and RiD 2001 figures.

If you are willing to sell any of these to me or want to know what I'm specifically after just message me and let me know it would be much appreciated.

Instagram: fanofcoolstuff27_nz

F-O-C-S-27
Fan-of-Cool-Stuff-27
Micromaster

Re: Cool Stuff Discussion 01: My first Transformers figures

Postby Good_Riddance » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:19 am

Welcome!

I still vivdly remember for my 5th birthday (january 1987) being in toyworld new brighton with my mum and having to choose a gift between the G.I. Joe cobra rattler and G1 Dinobot swoop, to this day i remember it being an awful decision to have to make! Needless to say I chose swoop... I'm not sure it was my first transformer, but its the first i remember
Good_Riddance
Gestalt

Postby Fan-of-Cool-Stuff-27 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:38 am

Thanks and thanks for sharing! I was beginning to think no one was gonna share any stories lol.
On the hunt for on-screen Movieverse TF figures, Unicron Trilogy figures and RiD 2001 figures.

If you are willing to sell any of these to me or want to know what I'm specifically after just message me and let me know it would be much appreciated.

Instagram: fanofcoolstuff27_nz

F-O-C-S-27
Fan-of-Cool-Stuff-27
Micromaster

Postby Thatotherguy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:17 pm

I think I was only 3-4 when G2 stuff was in stores. I don't remember my first Transformer but I definitely had a few. Unfortunately I liked to play rough so toys like Prime, Jazz, Snarl, and the Arielbots got completely wrecked.

Fearswoop, Manta Ray, and Brawl all managed to stick around for a while, so I still have fond memories playing with them. I used to pretend Fearswoop was starscream in a new body. Eventually gave them away to my younger cousins who lost them.
Thatotherguy
Pretender

Postby Zippo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:53 pm

I think Bluestreak *G1* was my first, 5th birthday I recall presents being lined up on my bedroom floor so I saw them when I woke up.
I wasn't very kind with Bluestreak and I remember him always being in between modes for most of his life
Zippo
TFNZ Administrator

Postby omegaprime » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:33 pm

My first transformers was devastator g2 yellow, then mantray, after that a g1 optimusprime, then g2 bumblebee and seaspray.

Over the years i got many more, but i started collecting once i got my hands on primus, then i just kind got out of control lol
omegaprime
TFNZ News Crew

Postby fishtuna » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:01 pm

My first transformers was the G1 Snarl !
fishtuna
Micromaster

Postby NKF » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:33 am

I don't truly remember, but one of my earliest recollections is an oversize knockoff of one of the flip changers. Red with blue arms. For an official TF, my most memorable recollection was getting a Takara G1 Galvatron during my early tweens. Of course, at the time it was just a toy to me and it lost all sorts of parts and eventually disappeared. But looking back, that stands out the most.

Ah, I remember the 6v battery - and being the idiot I was, attempting to lick the terminals thinking it would make the lights and sounds more interesting. I can see why they changed it for the Hasbro release.

- NKF
Crura Fish!
NKF
Decepticon Warlord

Postby IronhideTFX » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:24 pm

G1 Runamuck.

My Oma got it for me, cause i helped Dad catch a mouse at her place.
I would have been maybe 3 or 4?

And thats when it all started...
IronhideTFX
Gestalt

Postby Spike » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:30 am

G1 Grimlock and Slag. Christmas presents from santa.
Spike's want list
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12376
Spike
Headmaster City

Postby Zippo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:26 am

Actually, G1 Twin Twist (Jumpstarter) may have been my first.

I have fuzzy memories of getting Prime, Megatron, Soundwave, Jetfire, Metroplex for Xmas (probably not the same Xmas though(, First Aid because Dad was away for work and Grapple and Hot Rod via pack ins with video tapes...
Zippo
TFNZ Administrator

Postby Sledgehama » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Starscream from the Toy Warehouse in Royal Oak back in 1985, just after my brother had bought Bluestreak from LV Martin on Queen Street in the Auckland CBD a couple of hours earlier.

Having now realised this was over 30 years ago now, I feel very old indeed...
Sledgehama
Gestalt

Postby Oldschool78 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:04 pm

G1 Trailbreaker for my birthday, when they first came out. Quickly Followed by Jazz for chrismas.
Oldschool78
Faction Leader

Postby fishtuna » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:28 pm

After the G1 snarl then I collect the Bruticus members one per each month with its individual packing.
fishtuna
Micromaster

Postby jiptravolta » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:46 pm

I received G1 Scattershot for Xmas - I must have been 5, had no idea what it was, and had to get the adults to help transform him haha! I wouldn't find out he was a combiner until I was 8 or 9. I also had Seaspray, but I'm not sure when I received him. My older brother had Inferno, and we both picked up Micromaster bases Hothouse and Ironworks
jiptravolta
TFNZ Administrator

Next

Return to General TF Toy Discussion