TF: Prime Megatron Custom

If you've got your own Transformers-related project going on, show it off here! Whether you're a wizz with Photoshop or pencil or have a fanfic you'd like to share, feel free to post it here! And if you're really excited about your latest TF purchase, let us know how awesome it is by posting a review.

Moderator: Moderators

Headmaster City

TF: Prime Megatron Custom

Postby green dragoon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:31 pm

After cutting my teeth on my previous Whiplash custom I decided I was ready to upgrade Megatron!

ImageImage

That is one clunky arm cannon............................................................Thats much better.
ImageImage

ImageImage

Deluxe vs Voyager

ImageImage

ImageImage

You and your beast would do well to remember—I honed my skills in the pits of Kaon
Last edited by green dragoon on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Surprising Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

A Tomahawk of Honesty in the Skull of Lies

Faction Leader

Re: TF: Prime Megatron Custom

Postby Monkey222 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:56 pm

That is awesome! Is the cannon from Shapeways?
WANTED: ROTF Lockdown, Classics Grimlock Missile, ROTF Stratosphere.

View my Trade Me listings: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=2437745

Collection count is in! The grand total is 466 transformers!-20/06/2014

Heroic Autobot

Postby TrickyFingersNZ » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:45 pm

Awesome man, tidy work!

Headmaster City

Postby green dragoon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Monkey222 wrote:That is awesome! Is the cannon from Shapeways?

yeah its Shapeways, I chose the normal white plastic but i think it would of been better if i brought the white smooth instead as i spent a week smoothing the rough plastic up it was a bugger of a thing, then followed up with 3-4 paint layers because it soaked up the paint.

It was all worth it in the end :)

Evil Decepticon

Postby Fairtex » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Very nice work. I managed to score a cheap TF Prime Megatron for the purpose of customizing.

Can you list the paints and techniques you used? I'm new to customizing so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Headmaster City

Postby green dragoon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:46 pm

Fairtex wrote:Very nice work. I managed to score a cheap TF Prime Megatron for the purpose of customizing.

Can you list the paints and techniques you used? I'm new to customizing so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

yeah man let me gather my thoughts and photos i took during development and i will post soon.

Headmaster City

Postby green dragoon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Sorry for the long winded post.

This is how I did my Custom Megatron.

Disclaimer: This is how I did my Megs but I take no responsibility for any failed attempts made using this guide. Before I started this undertaking I first studied a dozen different tutorials online and gathered the best info I could on the subject. Most of its just commonsense.

1) Preparation is key! I started by dismantling Megs a much as possible.
I followed that up by mixing up a solution of dish washing detergent and water and dunked all parts in the solution for about 20-30mins; this is to clean the mold release lubricants that may have been left behind from the molding of the toy. After the dunk I then gave them all a scrub with an old toothbrush using the soapy solution before giving them a good rinse under the tap. Finally I left the parts on a rag in the hot water cupboard over night.
ImageImageImageImage

2) Now that you’re ready to paint I recommend that you get your masking tape and blue tack and cover all areas that you don’t wish to paint. I found Blue Tack to be perfect for covering tricky, small spots. Megatrons face is a great example of Blue Tack being a perfect mask when dry brushing. For me personally I also wanted to retain some of the translucent purple plastic in some places so masking it was vital.
ImageImageImage

3) Choosing your Paint. I decided to use Tamiya Acrylic model paints for my custom. These are the colours I recommend for this job Metallic Grey, Chrome Silver, Gun Metal, Purple, Black and White.
Choosing your brush. I used to good results #4 Humbrol for painting the larger areas of the bot, #2 Humbrol for the finer and more fiddly parts and a #6 taklon shader for dry brushing I found the fine stiff bristles gives a good brushed finish. All came from the local model shop.

4) Painting. Firstly mix paint thoroughly before use I gave mine a good shake for about a minute then gave them a stir with a toothpick or just your brush.
I first painted the body, arms and legs with two light coats of Metallic Grey don’t put it on too thick because you want to maintain that nice grain on the mold.
I painted the feet, face and hands with Gun Metal I only dry brushed the hands.

5)Then Using Chrome Silver applied a very very light Dry Brushing this is when you put the tip of your brush in the paint and then removed the excess paint with a paper towel before rapidly brushing there is a heaps of tutorials on YouTube I suggest you look them up if your unfamiliar with the technique. I did a few light dry brush coats till I got the desired effect.
ImageImage

6) The Eyes! After I finished painting the helmet I then dismantled the head, ever so carefully and painted the eyes red then applied the white circle bit with a toothpick. While the eyes are out I recommend painting the face Gun Metal at this point.
Also I painted the teeth with Chrome Silver using a toothpick.

7) The Big Gun! If you’re just painting the normal arm cannon just follow the above instructions. I however Purchased a more accurate cannon off shape ways printed out of WSF In retrospect I wish I had paid the extra money and had it made out of FUD even though it’s more fragile. Firstly WSF is rough so I spent about a week with some 1200G sand paper smoothing it up. Then once again in retrospect I wish I had used something to seal the surface because it took a number of coats of purple before I felt it was sufficiently smooth then I custom mixed a metallic purple using metallic grey and purple which I used for the final coat I also used this colour for his collar.
ImageImageImage
And that’s about it I think I have covered every thing.

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:25 pm

it would be beyond awsome if some one found a way attach his shoulder pads to his shoulders with out effecting his transformation

Headmaster City

Postby green dragoon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:23 pm

Now that i have Dr Wu's Dark Star Saber I can now say my Custom Megatron is complete :D

Last edited by green dragoon on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Evil Decepticon

Postby beautron275 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:08 am

thats beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BEAUTRON275
Adult transformer collector.. Young at heart.
WANT LIST
Voyager sized transformers :)
Love transformers that are big aka voyager sized or bigger

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Starscream NZ » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:57 pm

The sword compliments him beautifully! Not even a big fan of Prime Megatron, but if he came painted up like that i'd consider buying that figure!

Minibot

Postby Gen-xy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:47 am

Outstanding!!!

I have just bought one to attempt to replicate your efforts here. Great detailed process as well. Keep up the good work.

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Zippo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:04 pm

How did I miss this post

Awesome work there makes Prime looks more awesome - one day I may actually purchase some of the Prime toy line and attempt to make some of the bots better using these kind of techniques.

Headmaster City

Postby green dragoon » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Hey yeah i almost forgot about this, Megs still takes pride of place on my Prime Shelf I'm so pleased with him I think his colour tones are pretty bang on.
My next project is a Knock Out upgrade, with the help of a Shapeways kit. Im just still figuring out if i should brush or airbrush him i'm afraid of brush strokes on Knock Outs paint job but air brushing is a bigger investment for a hobby i don't have a lot of time for.

Evil Decepticon

Postby MAULER666 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:56 pm

nice work man, he looks like he just came straight from the pits :D
My list of gimmees:
G1 Vortex
G2 Snarl
G1 Fireflight

Return to Kitbash, Artwork, Fanfic and Reviews Forum