Updates from Hasbro - TF releases for rest of 2008

If you have come across any news regarding the wide world of Transformers, post it here. Please do explain if it is confirmed news or just a rumour you have heard.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Updates from Hasbro - TF releases for rest of 2008

Postby onslaught86 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:19 am

pinkshiro wrote:Can anyone vouch for how cool these look? Any good? Or kinda crappy.

Depends, really, they are an acquired taste. Heaps of excitement when they came out in Energon, but most were divided. The individual components are mostly pretty cool in their own right, though each team only has two unique limb moulds and two repaints, plus the core figure (I like the A-10 Aerialbots, the tank Combaticons, the torsos are average, and the other limbs are kinda ehhn). Their accessories are all translucent plastic, and those form the gestalts' hands and feet. So, basically, you've got a gestalt with two limbs the same, and weird brightly-coloured utensils for hands.

On the plus side, they are pretty articulated and display fairly well, I'd cal Bruticus the winner by far. You can mess with the tank limbs some to make the most excellent arms, complete with elbows and such. Worth owning at least one of the three sets, they're fun to mess with. Depends on the retail price too.

Just, hm, yeah, don't expect them to be as good as they could've been.
onslaught86
Child of Primus

Postby NKF » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:53 pm

From the photos I've seen of the boxed figures (the one in Zippo's order thread), the repaints are basically a close copy of their G1 counterpart's colour schemes.

Superion looks okay with all the Aerialbot colour schemes. Bruticus has the core looking like Onslaught's scheme, the left arm tank as brawl, the right arm helicopter as vortex. The legs have thrown me off a bit. The right tank is in orange (G2 Swindle?) and the left helicopter leg is in desert yellow (one of the other Brawl repaints?).

edit: No, the orange was the weapon. Looks brownish. Must be Swindle as helicopter left leg and Blastoff as right tank leg. Will need some better pics.

Since this is a new line, I really wonder why they didn't take the opportunity to introduce two new mold limb-bots for each set. That would've really increased the interest in these guys. Oh well - they're still pretty danged good as-is. You might want to throw some of the Superion limbs onto Bruticus for a bit of variety in military themed limbs. Can't help Superion though.

- NKF
Last edited by NKF on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crura Fish!
NKF
Decepticon Warlord

Postby NTsan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:22 pm

Well hopefully they won't be instant sellout! (not until the Xmas discount!)
NTsan
Minibot

Postby Zippo » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:33 pm

Have been found in Australia for $70AU, so i'm guessing they are going to be $90 in New Zealand.
Zippo
TFNZ Administrator

Postby Starscream NZ » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:22 pm

The reason for the repainted limbs was that Hasbro had two choices:

2 Combiners, with individual robots
3 Combiners, with repainted limbs

They went with the 3 Combiner idea instead. Probably the wise one, if not the fan-favourite one.

I'll definitely be getting both these sets as I happen to really like Energon combiners. Yes the weapons/hands are sucky but it's great to have scramble-city combiners again. Some retooling would've been nice but oh well.
Starscream NZ
TFNZ Administrator

Postby NKF » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:42 am

That was certainly the original reason. Though now that they're being reintroduced in a different line years down the track, it wouldn't have been a bad idea to create a few new molds to freshen up the teams. Would've been an added incentive to get them again.

But I suppose it would've been unlikely - straight repaints are easier. Also I notice they don't appear to be bothering with new molds for scout class figures lately in favour of deluxes.

- NKF
Crura Fish!
NKF
Decepticon Warlord

Postby Starscream NZ » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:55 am

NKF wrote:That was certainly the original reason. Though now that they're being reintroduced in a different line years down the track, it wouldn't have been a bad idea to create a few new molds to freshen up the teams. Would've been an added incentive to get them again.

But I suppose it would've been unlikely - straight repaints are easier. Also I notice they don't appear to be bothering with new molds for scout class figures lately in favour of deluxes.

- NKF

Strange indeed, though we are getting Scouts once again for ROTF, new molds at that. Believe that's what the designer who recently appeared in AUS said. He'd personally been working on Scouts and Voyagers.
Starscream NZ
TFNZ Administrator

Postby Rodimus » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:12 pm

does anyone know if universe blades will get a NZ release
Rodimus
Gestalt

Postby onslaught86 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:34 pm

He's in the next wave of Voyagers with Dropshot, but it's likely Hasbro NZ are skipping those, given how horribly Heavy Load and Blaster are shelfwarming. Good on them, I say, bring on Inferno.
onslaught86
Child of Primus

Postby Rodimus » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:32 pm

im kinda hoping for blades atleast since I missed out on getting cybertron evac
Rodimus
Gestalt

Postby Gravitron » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:57 pm

Blades could be an exception as it seems so many people missed out on Cybertron Evac. (I won't springier personally)
Its a pity Hasbro cant seem to balance the repaints with the new figures. they seem to import way too many to satisfy demand and end up flooding the market.
The only rear examples of repaints doing well are the current Uni-2 lines. Prowl, silver streak, smoke screen / Sun streaker, side-swipe .etc
Our never ending battle with repaint continues....... Into the night :lol:
Items for sale on TradeMe, check them out.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=1153143
Hang out with me on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterGravitron
Gravitron
Autobot Commander

Postby ker8270 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:36 pm

will this guys be out in nz soon?

he looks sweet ass even though i never watched transformers animated
ker8270
Heroic Autobot

Postby Gravitron » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:45 pm

The last i herd we wont be getting the new TFA's till early next year :cry:
And the NZ dollar sucks so much its not viable to order from overseas :cry:
Items for sale on TradeMe, check them out.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=1153143
Hang out with me on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterGravitron
Gravitron
Autobot Commander

Previous

Return to Transformers News/Rumours Section